Saturday, November 17, 2007

Bike Work @ Green Mt. Rehab

So, yesterday I had off from work and spent most of the day training and work on some bike stuff. I just changed the saddle on my bike to a Fizik Arione and changed them orientation of the cant wedges I use between my shoe and cleat.

After a morning run - the first good run since the crippling half-marathon - I drove into Burlington with my bike and went to Green Mt Rehab. Andy and Eric run GMR and it is located in the same building as the Skirack. I started going there after last season, just over a year ago. I primarily use their services in the off-season for figuring out improvements to my bike position (they also help me with stuff like VO2Max testing). They have the knowledge and equipment to figure out if bike and equipment changes are resulting in more effeciency and power or not. That is the great thing about the bike being a machine, you can actually calculate fuctional differences when you change something like the footbed in a shoe - something that's much harder to do with running or x-c skiing.

But, honestly I think the reason I and most everyone else likes these guys so much is that they are just really nice and fun to work with. If they were any more laid back they'd be laying down.

Yesterday I was working with Andy. This is me on the computrainer. Just getting started and warming up. It looks like my most recent changes have resulted in improvement.
My co-worker Dan came up and we talked about what I was doing. I explained to him how when I first got on the computrainer just over a year ago that I pedaled 60-40 (left leg to right leg) and how today I was finally at 50-50!Like I said, Andy is a very smart guy - but he's not a bore. Here he takes a goof-ball picture of himself with my camera while I'm not looking.Success is ours. 50-50 power output between the legs. Spin scan numbers in the high 70's to low 80's (vs. low 60's). Sitting squarely on the saddle with no rocking. And pedaling 300 watts at about 155 HR. (makes me wonder why I couldn't pedal worth a damn at Putney last week). I'll keep working with Green Mt. Rehab over the next couple months and keep dialing it in. Its important to work on making any changes to bike position and equipment during the winter and not during the season. Thanks Andy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.