Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Getting amped up as things wind down

So, there are only 2 bike races left...meaning the season is winding down to an end. However after taking a mental break following the back-to-back stage races I am getting myself amped back up to get in the action and make something happen in these last 2 opportunities. I've been making sure my equipment is 100% (Jimmy, the bike, gets tired at the end of the year) and put on fresh cleats, a new bottom bracket, and new shift cables and housing.

This Sunday, over in Portsmouth, there is a great crit. Its a true downtown crit...right in the shopping area, with restaurants and cafes and whatnot. I have a hard time getting pumped for crits if there aren't a lot of people there watching...but when there is a good crowd...ohhh! I get jazzed. It'll be the last race of the season for the Blue Team - and we want to go out in style. I've got a plan in mind and I think it will work out just wonderfully. We've had a great season this year. We've raced really well together as a team and that has been SO satisfying.

The morning after Portsmouth I fly out to Las Vegas - where the Interbike trade show will be going on - but more importantly I'll be lining up again to do the USA Crit Series Finals. The race is Thursday night and is going to be crazy. I managed a top 10 last year...so I'll roll the dice again and see what lady luck has got for me this year. Thanks in advance to Spike and Rodger for letting me stay with them...and MAJOR thanks to my sister for helping me get the plane ticket. She's far to nice to me.

The following are some reminisces of those back to back stage races.

First, a Very cool time lapse video piece from the Burlington Criterium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvCrevlhQ3M

Second, a picture of the sprint finish in the rain from Tour of Quebec.**One side note...Michelin Pro3 Race tires are fantastic! In the race pictured above almost everybody in the race except the 4 CCB riders (all on the Michelins) had a crash...some of the guys crashed 2,3,4 times in the course of the race. Granted, it was tretcherous - a 2.7km loop with 12 turns, a cobbled roundabout, and it hadn't rained in 2 weeks. We all had Pro3's pumped up to about 90-95 psi and we were rockin' everybody - at least cornering wise. I couldn't help but start laughing as everybody kept crashing. Guys would be going SO slow through turns and then their rubber would just slip out. It was hard to tell why the difference, and all I can think of is the tires. So, thanks Michelin!**

2 comments:

iamTedKing said...

Jake, it's Teddy. First, I love the 'stache. I hope it's still in full force. Second, great title of the blog prior to this particular post. King. Booya.

iamTedKing said...

Oh, third, awesome job at the GMSR crit. I'm sorry I can't be at my hometown Portsmouth Crit, or else I'd have to clean you up. Watch out for Robbie. My money is on him. Again, booya.