Sunday, December 20, 2009

And the Winter Season begins

Another Bolton Season opener is in the books. I managed a solid 6th place finish. My hope was for a top 5 to start the year - and I was close. The course was mucho hard. Start heading straight up World Cup loop - down onto Broadway and down around Teardrop - then back up Broadway, around the Pond - right into a second lap of the same (pain).

I definitely felt fit, but definitely felt sloppy. Eli took a solid win and looked good. I've got to get training with him more over the next couple weeks. Get the pain train moving in the right direction.

In International news, Tim Burke - from over in Saranac Lake - is the #1 ranked biathlete in the world currently...No big deal? Wrong! HUGE friggin' deal.

On the home front - I skied the new Salomon Equipe 10 skate skis for the first time. They glide very, very well. I definitely had more speed than most on the downhills. I hadn't really spent any time training on them yet though and forgot how different skis can handle differently. Climbing on them didn't feel quite natural until about 15 minute into my cool down. Lesson learned.

My sister (hostess), Helen (timing guru), and Damian Bolduc (club organizer) did an awesome job putting on the Bolton opener with all the other volunteers. An interesting sighting for me was seeing Matt White - of cyclocross fame - at the race. Matt and I have had many enjoyable battles on the road bikes, when I was with CCB and he was with FiordiFrutta. He was giving the nordic ski racing thing a go - had some equipment problems - but I hope I keep seeing him out there.

It was cool to see Stratton skier Skyler Davis win the opening Eastern Cup of the year up in Maine this weekend. It looks like he crushed the field in the skate sprint. We helped him get some boot issues worked out this fall at the Skirack for an ankle that was giving him trouble. Its good to see the boots are working - the lad is strong.

On the trainer, I've been mostly been rocking out to Grace Potter. That song Mastermind is awesome.

Get out and ski.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I inclination not acquiesce in on it. I assume precise post. Expressly the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I to but I about the post should prepare more info then it has.