Friday, October 17, 2008

A New Deal

My legs are feeling better and better - but what's happening is now that my legs can actually go for a while on roller skis is I get to find out how weak my upper body is. I briefly attempted to double pole with Eli and Adam Terko today while they did an interval workout and it was not happening. Alas, good progress is being made and the training is happening and enjoyable.

Its fun getting out rollerskiing with other people - it definitely helped having someone to go with yesterday! It was raining, but Paul and I had made a plan...so we had to stick to it. We did about an hour and a half skate rollerski in the pouring rain. I wouldn't have done it without him, and he without me. (ps, thanks to my sister and Helen for letting me use their rollerskis)

Progress was made this week on making my 2 sport thing really happen. On my sisters suggestion I contacted Dorcas Wonsavage at Alpina Sports to see what they were doing in terms of a racing team. A couple e-mails shot back and forth and a good phone conversation and I sent in a contract to ski for their team. They used to have a pretty bang-up factory team back some years ago - my sister actually skied for them for a little bit...as did Eli's sister, Molly. Dorcas is getting the band back together, meaning getting an Alpina team back in the game, but its still more of a start-up team right now. That is good though, because I'm more of a start-up ski racer right now. It should be a good fit, and I'm really motivated to train hard and race fast for them!

Its amazing too, I've let Mike Sherry know about what I'm doing with skiing and he's ok with it, and I let Dorcas know what I'm doing with cycling and she's ok with it. I definitely appreciate that a ton! So, in the tradition of Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Carl Swenson - we have a 2 sport athlete on our hands. Which isn't really special anymore now there there is that whole "triathlon" thing going around.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Thanks for the plug, Jake. It was sunny and clear today, by the way.